Monday, January 5, 2009

Well, my husband just called and he had some bad news from work.

They are eliminating their IRA program altogether, they have changed the vacation for 4 year employee's from 3 weeks to 2 weeks (my husband should have had 3 weeks starting this year), They are doing away with ALL overtime. Absolutely no overtime is allowed until further notice. so that means if he works 60 hours this week he can only work 20 next week because they are on a 2 week pay scale. The Key West job has been postponed AGAIN for at least 2 months, and there will be NO raises at all in the 2009 year. Not even cost of living increases, and all foreman and supervisor's are absolutely NOT allowed to moonlight, they MUST be free for any emergency calls.

Needless to say, my husband is highly upset. I told him not to worry because when we bought the house I made sure all of our bills only totaled up to his working 40 hour weeks. I also told him that at least he has a job and making $16.59 an hour is better than not making anything at all. kwim? But he is REALLY down about the cost of living raise not happening. I told him that maybe CVS, Walgreen's, and Kmart will keep up the great deals and keep me going to the flea market and that's how we can make the cost of living increase. kwim?

I really don't know what else to tell him. I mean I know he's upset but I'd be more upset if he lost his job. God, that would be HORRIBLE. Now I am wondering if instead of trying to pay off these credit cards if I need to be putting this money into savings jic something bad happens. kwim? The 1st one I am trying to pay off has a 0% interest rate until March 30th so I am thinking I should put any $ I was going to put toward that cc (except for the monthly minimum payment) in the savings account at least until March and if things are ok then pay it off. What do you think? Any input will be MUCH appreciated! Thanks everyone! :)

2 comments:

  1. I am not "all that" as a financial counselor or anything, but everything I read says put aside savings first and then pay extra on the CC. Otherwise, you may end up back in the same spot. You could strike a balance of paying a little extra but still saving some also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand. they are cutting jobs left and right here. My hours were cut in half. They froze raises totally and it was the week before my husband was supposed to get his for this year. No change in living cost raise, no earning extra sick time for employees who have been there several years. Etc BUT atleast we both are working .

    ReplyDelete